The common cold is a viral infection that affects the upper respiratory tract, a contagious disease that can occur as a result of exposure to several types of viruses. More than 200 types of viruses are thought to cause colds, Rhinovirus causes 30-40% of the common cold in adults. It is noteworthy that this disease is the most common in the world, the number of people infected in the United States of America is one billion people throughout the year,It should also be noted that exposure to cold weather does not lead to colds, as some belief, and there is no cure or a vaccine against this disease, and it is worth noting that the use of antibiotics is not important for treatment, in addition, it can be controlled at home Using several means, which we will talk about in this article.
Treating the common cold with herbs
There are many herbs that can be effective to relieve colds, reduce their symptoms, and mention of these herbs:
- Ginger: A few slices of ginger can be sliced, boiled with water, then drunk to relieve coughing and sore throat, and a study suggests that ginger can relieve nausea caused by the flu.
- Garlic: Garlic contains a compound called Allicin, which has antimicrobial properties. Some studies have suggested that taking garlic supplements reduces the risk of colds and reduces symptoms. More studies are needed to confirm the effectiveness of garlic in treating colds.
- Echinacea: This herb has been used in America for more than 400 years to treat various infections, possibly because it contains flavonoid compounds, which reduce inflammation and enhance the immune system. The herb can reduce the risk of colds by 50%, as it reduces the time it takes to recover from the disease. It is worth mentioning that the appropriate dose of this herb for healthy adults is 1-2 grams, which drink as a tea three times a day, But it is recommended not to use it for more than one week only.
- Mixture: A plant that possesses antioxidant properties, viruses, infections, and immunosuppressants, and its scientific name (Astragulus membranaceus).
- Medical Hippocampus: It can be used as an expectorant, and has immunological and antiviral properties.
- Echinacea: It possesses anti-inflammatory properties, viruses, and immunosuppressants.