Foot cracks, which often appear in the heel area are common problems that cause discomfort or even pain if the cracks are deep. The pain is evident when the patient is standing for a while. In fact, foot cracks are often caused by dry skin, They are usually accompanied by an increase in skin thickness. In many cases, the appearance of unwanted heels is the only problem for people with foot cracks, but in some severe cases these cracks may become infected. It is worth mentioning that women are more likely to crack feet than men. The patient is advised to see a doctor if he has pain, redness, swelling, or severe pain in any area of the foot for more than a few days.
Foot injury may cause suffering of some complications, especially if caused by a health problem, including complications loss of feeling in the heel, inflammation of the cellular tissue, and diabetes mellitus.
Causes of foot cracks
The cracks of the heel due to loss of skin moisture, and there are many factors and conditions that cause the loss of skin moisture and drought, including the following:
- Prolonged standing, especially if the person is obese; excess weight creates additional pressure on the heel of the foot, exposing dry skin, if present, to the risk of cracking.
- Walk the barefoot person, or wear shoes that do not cover the entire heel, or shoes of inappropriate size.
- Bathing is very hot for a long time.
- Dehydration or not drinking enough fluids.
- Do not use moisturizers for feet.
- Some weather changes such as low temperatures or humidity.
- Use harsh soap that can strip the skin of natural oils.
- Health problems such as Diabetes. High blood sugar and uncontrolled blood pressure can cause damage to the nerves. The patient may suffer from dry skin and therefore have a higher risk of cracking. Diabetics may have fractures of their feet The infection is higher than in the unhealthy, and other health conditions that cause the cracks of the foot heel lack of vitamins, fungal infections, hypothyroidism, atopic dermatitis, psoriasis, pregnancy, and aging.
Treatment of foot cracks
There are many home remedies that can be used to control heel and heel fractures. However, it is important to check with your foot care doctor if foot cracks are caused by a disease or health condition. In cases where cracks are severe, Has reached advanced stages, in order to prevent complications and increase the status of the problem worse. Home remedies that are used in most simple cases that are not caused by health problems include:
- Soak the feet with water :The skin surrounding the cracked side of the foot is often dry and thick, so soaking the feet with warm water and soaps on the feet softening, making it easy to remove the thick skin .
- Moisturizing the skin using a foot moisturizer: The use of foot moisturizers is the first treatment line in cases of foot fracture, because it has a role in moisturizing the skin, softening it, and eliminating hardened and dead skin. Foot moisturizers can contain urea, alpha-hydroxy acids -hydroxy acids), or others.
- Honey: Honey acts as a natural remedy for the cracks of the feet. It also has antimicrobial properties including bacteria. It can help heal and clear wounds and moisturize the skin.
- Coconut Oil :Coconut oil is characterized by its anti-inflammatory properties and microbes. It also helps the skin retain moisture. It is recommended for dry skin, eczema and psoriasis.
- Other home remedies :There are many other home remedies that can be used in cases of foot fracture, although there is no evidence to support their use especially in the treatment of foot cracks, including vinegar to soak the feet, olive oil, shea butter or mashed bananas to moisten the feet, paraffin wax to retain moisture Feet, oatmeal mixed with oil for peeling the feet.
Some topical treatment options may be used in cases of foot fractures such as salicylic acid, which comes in several forms, including cream, gel and adhesive strips, and may be sold as a liquid solution with a dropper. Salicylic topical act to dissolve keratin, which causes increased thickness and cracking of the feet,Dead tissue can be removed after dryness of the medicine. It should be noted that care should be taken when using salicylic acid topical because it can irritate areas of the surrounding skin, and therefore should not be touched to areas that do not suffer cracks, it should be noted that this acid sold at different concentrations, and can get the desired results faster in the case High doses were used, but high doses of this acid required a prescription .