Constipation is a common problem that affects many people. Constipation usually occurs because food and stool move very slowly through the digestive tract, making the stool hard and dry. Constipation can turn into a chronic condition if symptoms persist for more than three months. Symptoms of chronic constipation include less than three times a week, the emergence of fecal stools and dryness, a feeling of obstruction in the rectum preventing defecation,Chronic constipation can lead to many complications such as hemorrhoids caused by swelling of the veins in and around the anus, as well as rupture of the skin in the anus, which causes what is known as an anal sphincter, stool feces caused by the accumulation of stools trapped in the intestines, The intestine of the anus .
Quick treatment for constipation
Home remedies and lifestyle changes
Constipation can be treated and prevented by following the following tips that include a lifestyle change including:
- Drink plenty of fluids : Drought caused by drinking low amounts of fluid can lead to constipation, so it is advisable to drink plenty of fluids. It is important to note that fluoridated water may be more effective than normal water for the treatment and prevention of constipation, including cases where constipation is caused by chronic idiopathic constipation or irritable bowel syndrome .
- Eat foods high in fiber :It can be said that dietary fiber is divided into two main types: insoluble fiber found in wheat bran, vegetables and whole grains, as well as soluble fiber found in oat bran, barley, nuts, lentils and peas. It should be noted that insoluble fiber may make constipation due to intestinal function problems such as irritable bowel syndrome or chronic idiopathic constipation worse.
- Exercise :Exercise such as walking may help reduce the symptoms associated with constipation, although it may not increase the number of times .
- Drinking coffee :Caffeine-rich coffee can help treat constipation by stimulating the muscles of the digestive system. Coffee is a good stimulant for gastrointestinal muscles, where coffee rich in caffeine has a 60 percent drinking effect and 23 percent less caffeine.
- Use of Sunna herb :Senna contains many compounds that stimulate the digestive system and accelerate bowel movement. This herb is safe if used for a few days but is not safe for pregnant and lactating women and patients with inflammatory bowel disease .
- Eat peaches :Eating peaches or drinking juice helps to treat constipation because it contains fiber as well as sorbitol, which is considered a natural softener. The recommended dose of peach for the treatment of constipation 50 grams, about 7 medium-sized beads twice a day .
- Eat foods containing probiotics or probiotics :Beneficial bacteria found in foods such as yoghurt and cabbage can help restore balance in bowel bacteria and eliminate chronic constipation .
Of the medicines used in the treatment of constipation and non-prescription:
- Food supplements containing fiber :These supplements help increase the size of stool and facilitate its release, such as polypropylene, methyl cellulose, cesium and dextrin. It should be noted that the need to drink sufficient amounts of fluids in the case of fiber to increase its effectiveness and prevent the aggravation of constipation, and may cause some of the side effects such as gases and abdominal pain .
- Osmolar laxatives :These laxatives help to increase the amount of fluid coming out with the stool, making it soft and easy to get out. Examples include magnesium citrate, magnesium hydroxide, polyethylene glycol, and sodium phosphate. These laxatives may affect the concentration of salts in the blood, so consult your doctor before using them by patients with renal or heart failure, or people over the age of 55 years.
- Stimulant laxatives :Stimulant laxative is used in the treatment of severe constipation that has not been used by other treatments and medicines. Examples include bisacodyl, and excessive use of these laxatives may lead to reduced levels of potassium in the blood .
- Suppositories :Glycerin and bisacodil suppositories help to constrict the intestine and thus contribute to the treatment of constipation .
- Anal injections :Intestinal fluids with enemas help to treat constipation
- Holy cortex :(The scientific name: Cascara sagrada), and the extract of the bark of this plant of common laxatives of the intestine; it irritates the colon in a way that stimulates the movement of the bowel, and it should be noted that the use of this herb for a long time can be dangerous, may cause damage to the liver, Short is safer, but it can cause abdominal pain, or imbalance in the electrolytes .
- Psyllium :They can be used with other laxatives to treat chronic constipation, but they can cause some side effects, such as allergies, nausea, stomach pain, or vomiting.
- The Round :As it is used to treat constipation, because it has properties of the intestinal lumen, but it should be noted that one study has found that the rhubarb can also have anti-diarrhea properties, so should not be used for long periods .
- Senna :This herb is used to treat constipation, discharge the bowel before undergoing some surgical procedures. It is recommended to use sina for short periods only, and not to exceed the recommended amounts. The use of long and large quantities can cause liver damage .
- Slippery elm :As this plant stimulates the nerves in the channel of the digestive system, leading to the secretion of mucus and improve constipation, it is worth mentioning that the red elm contains a sticky substance called Mucilage, which lining the digestive system, and prevent the absorption of some drugs, and There are sufficient studies to determine the safety of long-term use of this plant .