Thyme is one of the most common herbs in our Arab country, as a herb, which is popularly used in many therapeutic purposes. It is called Thymus vulgarism. It belongs to the Mint family of Laminae, Thyme plant is a long-standing plant, a dwarf herb that grows up to a height of 50 cm, and has a strong aromatic aroma and refreshing taste tends to bitterness and slightly resembles the taste of camphor. Thyme herb originates in the Mediterranean region and adjacent areas, in addition to North Africa and some parts of Asia, which is a herb of much agriculture, containing many active substances that are responsible for its health roles and effects ,In many foods, thyme is used as a delicious flavor, as it is drunk as a tea. It is also used in many popular therapeutic purposes. Many people use thyme herb in cases of bronchitis, cough, colic, arthritis, and pain. Stomach caused by inflammation, gases, and many other health conditions. This article aims to talk about the benefits of thyme, which has been proven in scientific research.
Preparation of thyme tea
Thyme tea is prepared by adding 1.5 to 2 g of thyme to the boiling water, then filtered and drank, so that the small spoon (teaspoon) is about 1.4 g.
Benefits of thyme tea
Thyme contains many active substances that include the pilot oil, which consists mainly of thymus.
- Thyme is an anti-bronchial constriction. Some studies suggest that taking it with other herbs improves some symptoms of bronchitis, such as coughing, fever, and increased phlegm production.
- Some studies suggest that eating thyme alone or with some other herbs improves coughing symptoms in many health conditions, including bronchitis, upper respiratory infections, and cold.
- Some preliminary studies suggest the role of bactericidal in both colic, tonsillitis, prevention of sweating during sleep, improvement of breath odor, swelling, pneumonia, mouth, sore throat, but these effects need further scientific research.
- Thyme expels phlegm.
- Thyme has antispasmodic effects.
- Thyme can improve appetite.
- Improve liver function.
- Thyme is useful in cases of infection of the digestive system.
- Thyme (its leaves and essential oil) is a good source of antioxidants that fight free radicals, and reduce oxidative stress in the body.
- Thyme extract was found to have anti-viral effects, specifically Herpes simplex virus.
- Thyme contains chemical compounds that contribute to the fight against bacteria and fungi.
- The volatile oils present in thyme carry anti-inflammatory effects.
- Thyme oil derived from thyme has antibacterial evidence, which has been shown to be resistant to many bacteria, including gram-positive bacterium and gram-negative bacterium.