Coconut oil is extracted from the inner white pulp of the coconut fruit. Saturated fat accounts for 83% of the total fat in it, so it was thought to be an unhealthy oil, but in fact, it can provide many health benefits to the human body. Most of the saturated fat is lauric acid, a medium-chain triglyceride, which researchers believe does not affect the same way saturated fats do in the body.
Benefits of coconut oil
Coconut oil is believed to provide many health benefits to the human body and mention them:
- Improving cholesterol levels: Studies suggest that coconut oil can increase levels of good cholesterol, or so-called high-density lipoprotein (HDL).
- Regulation of blood sugar levels: It was noted that coconut oil supports the function of insulin in a study in rats.
- Reducing stress: Coconut oil can act as an antidepressant because it contains antioxidant compounds and stress in a rodent study.
- Hair highlights: Coconut oil has the ability to penetrate the roots of hair better than other oils, so it increases the gloss of hair.
- Skin Enhancement: Coconut oil is characterized by its anti-inflammatory properties, which makes it affect the skin and has been shown to stimulate protective skin functions.
- Reducing the risk of liver disease: Coconut oil has been shown to reduce the risk of fatty liver disease in a study of rodents.
- Reduce symptoms associated with asthma: It was observed that inhalation of coconut oil reduces symptoms associated with asthma, in a study of rabbits.
- Feeling full: Some studies have suggested that coconut oil increases the feeling of satiety and fullness of the stomach after eating, but some other studies could not prove it.
- Weight loss: Some studies have indicated that coconut oil reduces obesity and stimulates weight loss.
- The killing of pathogenic microbes: Laurel acid is 50% of the total fat in coconut oil and has the ability to kill pathogenic bacteria in the body, such as viruses, bacteria, and fungi. It has been observed to kill Staphylococcus aureus, Is able to get rid of yeast infection that affects humans, and caused by a yeast called white ovaries or vaginal fungi.
- Reduce the incidence of seizures: Coconut oil contains the fatty acids transmitted to the liver after ingestion to become ketones; as the rise of ketones in the blood reduces the incidence of seizures in children with epilepsy, even if the drugs do not work in their case.
- Enhancing brain function in people with Alzheimer’s: Some studies have suggested that the consumption of intermediate triglyceride triglycerides, such as those in coconut oil, improves brain function and reduces symptoms associated with Alzheimer’s. It is worth noting that further studies are needed to confirm this Benefit.